Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Eat fresh - but also, all meats are halaal

Back to practicing law, and ordering food. Just me this time though – but Mystic Mo wasn’t too helpful really, not being completely in touch with mere food.
Today I ordered from Subway, newly opened in Zamalek on Yehia Ibrahim St. I happened to pass there with a friend at perhaps midnight last week, and when I stepped in to get a menu I was eagerly greeted by an elderly white-mustached man, who asked us cautiously if we were familiar with Subway and then launched into English immediately. He handed me a menu without prices. Sandwiches cost from L.E. 16-18 for a six-inch though. They don’t charge taxes, but there’s an L.E. 5 delivery charge.
The menu contains absolutely no spelling mistakes – chilling. Oh, wait, at the bottom they spelled “Jordan” as “Jordon” which is just better.
I ordered a tuna sub with tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos and onions, no cheese, brown bread. This is exactly what arrived, to my astonishment. Ingredients were fresh, but the tuna was quite a bit over-mayonnaised (oh most dastardly of substances). Perhaps I can talk them into taking it down a notch – although my attempts to influence Casper and Gambini’s increasingly poor food and service met with no success.

There’s quite a bit less to write about one person ordering, isn’t there. Trying to break my writer’s block though, so it might be best to take it easy.

6 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

Believe or not, where I live is so Muslimified that there are several halal Subways. I'm a big, big fan.

I like:
Cheese and herb bread (footlong as I'm greedy), Chicken breast and cheese. Toast it and then add lettuce, tomato, sweet peppers and gerkins. Smother with BBQ sauce. Yum, Yum.

Ideally followed by a bag of Prawn Cocktail crisps and a cookie.

Why isn't Mystic Mo joining you on your food endeavours anymore?

Safiya Outlines said...

P.S You have not seen misspelled English until you visit Syria. It's a national past time.

My favourite are the odd slogans you find on clothes. My MiL has a pair of Pyjamas with "I bring you memorial flower from my country garden".

Forsoothsayer said...

yeah pretty much every franchise near where i lived western-side was halaaled out...i just thought it worth noting here because it's a tagline, not a postscript. it's also a rare restaurant that serves pork.

mystic mo's abroad. will look into your recommendation...although it sounds fattening. and i'm supposed to lose 3 kg by june 13!

also, a friend of mine just bought a couple of shirts here that say, respectively, "Just cock" and "Vogue casual cock". there are pics.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I also noticed (by following the link on your profile) that your original blog is back- with a slightly different address this time- has it been hacked?

Anyway, I was genuinely concerned that you disappeared off the grid so abruptly.

Again, welcome back.

Ahmed N.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add; my daily follow up of blogs is interesting again :D

Forsoothsayer said...

actually i've quit blogging entirely...sorry to deprive you of entertainment though.